What's new in Trunk version 1.6 (May 2015 release)
In May, 2015, Trunk was upgraded to version 1.6. This upgrade was based on Sakai version 2.10
The upgrade includes a number of new Trunk tools and an upgrade in many existing Trunk tool features.
New Tool - Media Gallery - Video/Audio/Image upload and distribution
The Media Gallery tool allows instructors to upload, manage and distribute video, audio and image files to their course site and to stream those media files to their students. The tool contains the following features:
- Site Library: The Site Library contains all of the media content uploaded to the site.
- Collections: Instructors can organize media content into any number of discrete collections. By default, these collections are displayed on the tool’s home page.
- Thumbnails: In both the Site Library and Collections, each media item is displayed as a thumbnail. Each thumbnail includes the item’s title, as well as icons indicating whether the item is a video, image, or audio file and indicates what actions users may perform with the item.
- Media Player: When users click on a thumbnail, the Media Gallery tool displays it on the left side of the screen within a media player. This media player allows users view images and play audio and video content.
- My Media: All media files uploaded by an instructor (or students with permission) to any Site Library or Collection are stored in their personal My Media section of the Media Gallery tool. This My Media section follows the user from site to site making it possible to upload media files once, and then distribute them to various sites’ Site Libraries or Collections.
- Permissions: By default, students are not allowed to upload media files to the Media Gallery tool. However, Instructors can alter the default permissions to allow students to upload media to the Site Library or to a Collection either as part of a shared media space or privately as an assignment that can be viewed only by the instructor and the individual student.
- Embed Media in Other Trunk Tools: Once the Media Gallery tool is added to a site the “Kaltura” icon, located on all Trunk text boxes. This allows instructors to embed a Media Gallery video, audio or image in the Announcements, Assignments, Messages, Forums, Tests and Quizzes and Syllabus tools. (or in any Trunk text box).
- Web Cam Recorder: The Media Gallery tool allows instructors to make a video recording from their computer web camera and integrate it directly into the Site Library or Collections. Permissions can be granted allowing students to create web cam videos and integrate them into the Site Library or a Collection.
- Reuse: The Site Library of media can be copied from one site to another using the Site Editor / Import from Site tool.
Assignments - Group Submission
Assignments - Peer Assessment
Assignments - Download All Submissions in a Single Flat File (no subfolders)
CKEditor - (Text Box) - Audio Recording Widget
Resources - Restore Deleted File/Folder
Site Editor Groups - Create / Join and Un-join groups
Syllabus Tool Redesigned
Tests & Quizzes - New Settings Interface
Tests & Quizzes - Auto Submit
Test & Quizzes - Download All "File Upload" Submissions in a Single Flat File (no subfolders)
Test & Quizzes - New Extended Matching Items Question Type
Tests & Quizzes - New Event Log
- When integration with the Gradebook tool is enabled, comments are sent along with grades
- A new setting ("Hide Due Date") allows instructors hide the due date for an assignment
- A group filter has been added to the "Assignment List by Student" and "Grade Report" pages
- When the Turnitin content review service is enabled for an assignment, an icon is displayed, and students see a message indicating their attachments will be checked for originality by Turnitin
- Instructors can set start/end dates for student posts in a chat room
- The "Check Quota" feature in Resources has been added to Drop Box, so instructors can view their site storage quota/current usage in that tool as well
- The file attachment workflow has been updated, so instructors have the option to upload, enter a URL, or select an existing item in Resources
- Instructors can move a conversation (thread posted by a student) to a different topic
- For instructors, user names are displayed as hyperlinks in all posts, so an instructor can click on a name to access the statistics page for that user
- Grade entries respect both points and percentage input settings in Gradebook
- Message indicator for a Topic now displays "x unread of x messages"
- The date/time picker includes a dropdown menu for selecting day/month/year as well as a button labeled "Now"
- New drop down box interface for adding Lesson Builder elements
- In "Options," a "display recipients" setting has been added
- Profile image (unofficial) is associated with sent messages
- Revised "upload files" page defaults to drag/drop but can upload selected files by clicking in the drag/drop box
- A new setting "Hide this folder but allow access to its contents" has been added to hide a folder but still allow access to its contents
- Learning Object Metadata (LOM) fields have been added to "Optional properties" for resource items
- A "Make Site Page" option is included in the "Actions" menu for resource items, so an item can be automatically added to a site as a Web Content tool
- The WebDAV instructions interface on the "Upload-Download Multiple Resources" page has been redesigned, with separate tabs for Windows, Mac, Linux and older versions, and WebDAV instructions for Windows 8
- A new tool labeled "User Audit Log" tracks user accounts that have been added or removed from a site.
Test & Quizzes:
- An instructor can now include extra calculations within a calculated question
- The single-precision floating-point format used for assessment score calculation has been replaced by the double-precision format
- For "multiple correct, multiple selection" questions, instructors can now choose an "all or nothing" credit option
- New Audio Recording question type has been added