What is the Media Gallery tool?
The Media Gallery tool allows instructors to upload, manage and distribute video, audio and image files to their course site and to stream those media files to their students. The tool contains the following features:
- Site Library: The Site Library contains all of the media content uploaded to the site.
- Collections: Instructors can organize media content into any number of discrete collections. By default, these collections are displayed on the tool’s home page.
- Thumbnails: In both the Site Library and Collections, each media item is displayed as a thumbnail. Each thumbnail includes the item’s title, as well as icons indicating whether the item is a video, image, or audio file and indicates what actions users may perform with the item.
- Media Player: When users click on a thumbnail, the Media Gallery tool displays it on the left side of the screen within a media player. This media player allows users view images and play audio and video content.
- My Media: All media files uploaded by an instructor (or students with permission) to any Site Library or Collection are stored in their personal My Media section of the Media Gallery tool. This My Media section follows the user from site to site making it possible to upload media files once, and then distribute them to various sites’ Site Libraries or Collections.
- Permissions: By default, students are not allowed to upload media files to the Media Gallery tool. However, Instructors can alter the default permissions to allow students to upload media to the Site Library or to a Collection either as part of a shared media space or privately as an assignment that can be viewed only by the instructor and the individual student.
- Embed Media in Other Trunk Tools: Once the Media Gallery tool is added to a site the “Kaltura” icon, located on all Trunk text boxes. This allows instructors to embed a Media Gallery video, audio or image in the Announcements, Assignments, Messages, Forums, Tests and Quizzes and Syllabus tools. (or in any Trunk text box).
- Web Cam Recorder: The Media Gallery tool allows instructors to make a video recording from their computer web camera and integrate it directly into the Site Library or Collections. Permissions can be granted allowing students to create web cam videos and integrate them into the Site Library or a Collection.
- Reuse: The Site Library of media can be copied from one site to another using the Site Editor / Import from Site tool.
By Default, students cannot upload media to the Media Gallery tool. However, instructors can grant students permission to upload media.