What are Trunk Project sites?
As part of Tufts' adoption of Canvas, we are beginning the retirement of Trunk Project Sites. As of June 1, 2018, Trunk users are no longer be able to create new Project Sites.
Existing Project Sites will remain available and supported at least through the 2017-2018 academic year. Project site creators and organizers will be notified by email several months before access and support for Trunk Project Sites is discontinued.
Tufts offers many other platforms that allow users to discuss, share, and collaborate. To learn more about these tools, visit our guide to Project Site alternatives. Guidance for migrating content from Project Sites to Box is also available.
Project sites are designed to facilitate online collaboration.
They may be used to support a variety of activities, from students working on class projects to faculty collaborating on a grant proposal, a tenure committee evaluating faculty work, and administrators revising the undergraduate curriculum.
Roles on Trunk Project sites are different than on Trunk Course sites. Trunk Project sites have 3 available user roles:
- Guest: Primarily read-only access. This role is recommended for observers of the project.
- Organizer: This role has the full set of permissions and is allowed not only to build and manage a project site, but also to assign roles, and change permissions. It is similar to an Instructor role on a course site.
- Participant: Can participate fully (including editing) in the resources tool, read and write access to all other tools. It is similar to a Student role on a course site, however Participants can upload files to the site Resources tool.
Trunk demonstration Project site:
A Trunk Project site consists of the following navigation and display elements:
- The Tool Menu on the left
- Site Information display
- Site Recent Announcements
- Site Calendar
- Site Unread Messages
- Portal Chat
1 - Tools Menu.
All Trunk Project sites have a default selection of frequently used tools. However, instructors can add (or remove) tools from their Project site via the Site Editor / Edit tools (See "How do I add or remove tools on my Course/Project site?"
All Trunk Project sites have access to the following tools:
- Home: Opening course site page.
- Search: Use Search to look for content within or across sites in which you're a member.
- Drop Box: Use Drop Box to exchange documents with an instructor in a personal, individualized folder.
- Glossary: Use Glossary to provide contextual definitions of terms used in your site
- Lessons Builder: For creating content modules and sequences; can be organized by week or unit
- News: Use News to display a dynamic news source to site participants.
- Resources: Use Resources to post, store and organize material of use to site participants.
- Syllabus: Use Syllabus to create a unit-based outline of your course.
- Media Gallery: Use Media Gallery to post videos, audio and images and stream them to your students.
- Announcements: Use Announcements to distribute information and send out notification about activities or events relevant to your site.
- Calendar: Use calendar to post information about activities and events of interest to your site participants.
- Chat Room: Use Chat to engage in real-time, unstructured conversations with your site members.
- Forums: Use Forums to post discussion topics or respond to discussion threads.
- Piazza: For students to ask and answer questions under the guidance of their instructor. - also a discussion board
- Sign-Up: A tool that allows users to organize office hours, review sessions, study groups and similar activities.
- Email Archive: Use Email Archive to see a list of messages that have been sent to your site.
- Mailtool: Use Mailtool to send email messages to site participants, groups, individuals and external users.
- Messages: Use Messages to post private messages and send email to site participants.
(Assessment and Interactive Tools)
- Assignments: Use to create and submit text-based assignments.
- Feedback: Use Feedback to provide targeted feedback on assignments to site participants.
- Gradebook2: Use Gradebook2 to calculate, store and distribute grade information to students.
- i>clicker: Trunk i>clicker Plugin - integrates Sakai and i>clicker products
- Polls: Use Polls to take a quick poll of users on your site.
- Tests & Quizzes: Use Tests & Quizzes to create, edit and manage online assessments and to set up automatic feedback and grading options.
(Site Maintenance Tools)
- Roster: Use Site Roster to view a list of participants in your site.
- Sections: Use Sections to create and manage sections in your course.
- Site Editor: Use Site Editor to edit and manage your site.
- Site Statistics: Use Site Statistics to view statistics on your site by user, event or resource.
1A - Collapsing/Expanding the Tool Menu:
You may expand and collapse the Tool Menu by clicking on the arrow tab in the upper right portion of the menu. When the menu is collapsed, the menu links are represented by their associated icons.
2 - Site Information Display:
The Site information displays allows instructors to post general information about the course site. Often this includes an image or site banner.
To Edit a Project Site Info Display, click the Edit icon in the upper right corner of the panel.
This displays the Site Info edit panel. The Edit panel contains a Rich Text Editor for formatting text and adding links, images, audio and video. For directions on adding an image to a Site Information panel see "How do I add a banner image to a Site Information Panel?"
3 - Recent Announcements:
The Announcements panel displays the site's recent announcements. The site's Announcement tool in the Tools Menu contains all of the site's announcements. To add an Announcement to the site see "How do I add an Announcement?)
To edit the display of Site Announcements, click Options.
This displays the edit announcements display options. Click Update when finished editing.
4 - Calendar:
The Calendar panel displays the site's monthly calendar events. The site's Calendar tool in the Tools Menu contains all of the site's calendar events. To add a Calendar event to the site see "How do I add an event to a Calendar?"
To edit the display of the Site Calendar, click Options.
This displays the Calendar display options. When finished editing, click Upate.
5 - Unread Messages and Forums:
The Unread Messages and Forums panel alerts all site users to any unread Forum posts or any unread messages in the site's Message tool. Click on the number to display the Forums tool or the Messages tool.
6 - Portal Chat:
The Portal Chat tool allows real-time synchronous text communication between 2 Trunk users. It is a type of internal instant messaging.
Users can chat with:
- Anyone on their Profile2 "Connections" that are currently logged into Trunk
- Anyone currently logged into the same Trunk course or project site.
The Portal Chat is accessed via a small "Chat" tab located at the bottom right of the Trunk display. If any of a user's Profile2 Connections are logged into Trunk or if anyone else is currently logged into the same Trunk course or project site, a number appears on the Chat tab indicating the number of users available for chat. Clicking on the Chat tab and then the user's name initiates the chat.