How do I create a Group Assignment?
Instructors can create an Assignment for a group (or groups) of students. You must have existing groups in your site in order for the Display to selected groups option to appear (Site Editor / Manage Groups).
Students in the selected group(s) will have the assignment displayed under their Assignment button. Students not in the selected group(s) will not see the Assignment.
Instructors can structure a Group Assignment so that each member of the group must submit to the assignment OR the Group Assignment can be structured so that any member of the group can submit for the entire group. When this functionality is allowed, instructors can assign a single grade to all members of the group (with the option to over-ride any single grade).
Enter a title for the Assignment.
Specify the Assignment availability.
Change the dates using the calendar icon to bring up the date-picker pop-up calendar, which includes a "Now" button.
1. The Open Date for your assignment is when it becomes available for students.
2. The Due Date is the deadline to turn in the assignment (This is the date/time students see as the deadline).
3. The Accept Until date allows you to accept late submissions after the due date. (Late student submissions marked as late.) If you do not accept late submissions, you may leave the Due Date and Accept Until date the same. Students do not see the Accept Until date.
Tip: Often, faculty like to set the time on the due date to 11:55 PM, as that is the latest time you can select on a given day. Selecting 12:00 AM will display the date as the next day, and this may confuse students about the actual due date if they assume they have all day to turn in their work.
Choose the submission format.
There are several submission formats that you may accept.
- Inline and Attachments: This is the default format and it allows students to either enter content into the rich text editor inline, or attach a file, or both.
- Inline only: Student may only submit a response by entering their content into the rich text editor. The attachement option is not available. This is a good option to choose if you want to be able to grade all of the responses online without having to download or open any files.
- Attachments only: This format removes the rich text editor option and leaves only the attachment option available. By default, this submission format allow up to 5 files to be submitted by the student, however, multiple files must be submitted all at one time.
- Non-electronic: This format choice is for assignments that you expect students to submit in person, but you want the option to view assignment details and/or grade the assignment in Sakai.
- Single Uploaded File only: If you want students to submit a file, but you only want a single file, this is the option to choose. (Both the Inline and Attachments and the Attachments only option allow students to upload and submit more than one file at a time.) You must choose this submission format if you are using a Turnitin plagiarism service.
Choose your preferred format from the drop-down menu.
Allow resubmission. (Optional)
Checkmarking "Allow Resubmission" should only be used if the instructor wants to allow the entire class to resubmit files. Instructors always have the option, when grading, to allow an individual student to resubmit a file.
If you select Allow Resubmission, you may specify the number of resubmissions allowed and the deadline for resubmitting files.
Note: The "Accept Until" date/time set in the Assignment Availability section overrides this "Resubmission Accept Until" date/time. Make sure the "Resubmission Accept Until" date/time is no later than the "Accept Until" date/time set in the Assignment Availability section.
Select a grade scale (Optional)
There are several grade scales to choose from:
- Ungraded: This is the default option. This will allow you to collect and view student submissions electronically, but does not allow for grading in Sakai.
- Letter grade: You may select this option if you like to grade your assignments by letter grade only.
- Points: Allows you to assign points to an assignment for grading. This is the option you should choose if you plan to send the assignment to the gradebook.
- Pass: Designates an assignment as pass/fail.
- Checkmark: Allows you to mark assignments with a checkmark for completion.
Select the assignment's grade scale from the drop-down menu.
Note: The only grade scale option that can be added to the gradebook automatically is Points.
Add assignment instructions.
Tip: You may use the Rich Text Editor to format your assignment description, and add images, links, or other media if desired.
Add due date to Schedule. (Optional)
Add an announcement. (Optional)
If you would like an announcement to be automatically posted to the site regarding the open date for your assignment, check the Add an announcement about the open date to Announcements box.
Note: The announcement will be posted immediately when you post your assignment, regardless of the actual open date of the assignment itself. This option is best used to announce changes in a due date, or the availability of a newly posted item.
Add honor pledge. (Optional)
If you would like to add an honor pledge to your assignment, check the Add honor pledge box.
Hide due date from students (Optional)
Turnitin Service (Optional)
For complete directions on using the Turnitin service see "How do I use the Turnitin plagiarism service to check the originality of papers?"
The default selection is Do not add assignment to Gradebook, If you would like your assignment added to the gradebook, you may select either of the following options:
- Add assignment to Gradebook: This will create a new item in the gradebook with the same name as your assignment title.
- Associate with existing Gradebook entry: This option allows you to link your assignment to an existing gradebook item. This is useful if you have already created items in your gradebook and you want to use one of them, rather than creating a new assignment. You may only link an assignment to a single gradebook item, and vice versa.
Best practice is to first create the item in Gradebook, then "associate the assignment with the existing entry".
Select the radio button for the gradebook option you would like to use.
Tip: Remember that you must have a Points grade scale in order to add the assignment to the gradebook!
Access - Regular group assignment (no group submission)
You must have groups (created in Site Editor / Manage Groups) to create a group assignment.
To display the assignment to a selected group (or groups) select "Display to selected groups" and checkmark the group(s)
Note: You must have existing groups in your site in order for the Display to selected groups option to appear.
Access - group assignment with group submission.
- Selecting this option will allow any member of a group to submit for the entire group. Instructors will be able to assign a single grade to everyone in the group (with an option to override any single grade).
- If you have created groups on your site (Site Editor / Manage Groups), you can assign the access to a specific group OR ALL GROUPS. Note: You must have existing groups in your site in order for the Display to selected groups option to appear.
- Select the group(s).
Note: If you are allowing group submission (any member of the group can submit), always select "display to selected groups".
Submission notification (Optional).
The default notification setting is Do not send me notification emails for any student submissions. If you would like to be notified, select either of the following two options:
- Send me a notification email for each student submission: This option will send a separate email for each student immediately upon submission.
- Send me one email per day summarizing notifications for student submissions: This option will send a digest email listing all student submissions for that day.
Released grade notification (Optional)
Additional information. (Optional)
This section gives you the option of including additional information, such as a Model Answer, Private Note, or All Purpose Item.
Click the Add link to add any of these items.
The model answer can provide an example of the ideal correct answer or solution for a particular assignment.
- You may enter your model answer in the text box provided.
- You may also click the Add Attachments button to browse for and select a file containing the model answer and/or solution.
- Select when you would like the model answer to be displayed.
- Click Save to save your changes.
All purpose item.
You may also create an All Purpose Item which can be displayed based on specific dates or users.
- Enter a Title for your item.
- Enter the content of the item in the text box provided.
- You may also click Add Attachments to browse for and attach file/s.
- Select when the item should be displayed.
- Choose which users can see the item.
- Click Save to save your changes.