How do I create a Survey?
In addition to assessments, the Test & Quizzes tool also allows instructors to create Surveys.
The difference between a survey and an assessment is:
- The type of questions displayed - Surveys usually use the 3 question types included in the Test & Quizzes tool that have no programable "correct" answer (Survey Question - Survey Matrix of Questions - Short Answer / Essay Question).
- The Settings configuration - Because surveys are not "graded", most surveys use "Anonymous Grading Only" and have no connection to the Gradebook2 tool. Sometimes surveys are made "public" by using "Assessment Released to Anonymous Users". See "How do I create a "Public" survey?")
The results of a survey are usually made anonymous, but an instructor can always see the results of an individual's survey submission (but may not know the name of the student submitting it).
Go to Tests & Quizzes.
This displays the Test & Quizzes page.
Note: The Test & Quizzes tool is not a default tool. Yo may have to dd the tol to your tool list using Site Editor / Edit Tools. (See: How do I add or remove tools on my Course/Project site? )
Use the "Select a question type" dropdown box to select a question type.
For details on question types see:
- How do I add a Survey question to a Survey?
- How do I add a Survey Matrix question to a sSurvey?
- How do I add a Short Answer / Essay question to an assessment?
Note: You may add any type of question to a survey. if you add a question that requires you to select a "correct" answer, mark any answer as correct and under "Settings" do not grade the survey.
Continue adding questions until your Survey is complete.
After you have added all of the survey questions, click Settings to configure how the assessment will be delivered to the students. For a detailed explanation of the assessment Settings see "How do I configure the Settings for an assessment?"
Most surveys use "Anonymous Grading Only" and have no connection to the Gradebook2 tool. Sometimes surveys are made "public" by using "Assessment Released to Anonymous Users". See "How do I create a "Public" survey?")
Example of typical Settings for a survey:
After you have configured the Setting for the survey, click Publish to release the survey to users. For a detailed explanation of Publishing an assessment see "How do I Publish an assessment?"