How do I copy content from one course site to another course site?
Instructors can copy content from one site to another site using the Site editor / Import from site tool. This tool is often used to copy course site content from one semester's course site to another semester's course site.
You must have Instructor, TA, Course Builder or Librarian access to both sites.
Tool content can only be imported when both sites have the same tool button. (For instance, if you want to import Assignments from an old site to a new site, then the new site needs to have an Assignments tool; if you want to import Test & Quizzes from an old site to a new site, then the new site needs to have an a Test & Quizzes tool.)
Click on the type of import action you would like.
"I would like to replace my data" - This type of action will import the content from the old site and will replace any existing content on the new site. Use this option if you have not added any content to the new site.
"I would like to merge my data" - This type of action will import content from the old site and append it to any existing content on the new site. Use this option if you have added any content ot the new site.
"I would like to merge my users" - This type of action will import the user accounts located on the old site and merge them with any existing accounts on the new site. Do not use this option for academic course sites. All user accounts for academic course sites are automatically added to course sites based on a daily feed of iSIS information to Trunk.
Select the site (or sites) you want to import content FROM, then click Continue
Checkmark the areas of content you would like to import, then click Finish.
This imports the content from the old site to the new site. (This may take some time depending on the amount of content imported).
- Syllabus: - Syllabus is imported and posted under the Syllabus tool.
- Resources: - All folders and files are imported and placed in the Resources tool. However, you may have to reorder the folders.
- Assignments: - Assignments are imported and placed in the Assignments tool as “Drafts”. You will need to edit and re-post the assignment to make it active.
- Test & Quizzes: - Tests & Quizzes are imported and placed in the Test & Quizzes tool as “Working Copies”. You will have to edit and repost the Test/Quiz to make it active.
- Gradebook2: - The structure of the old Gradebook2 is imported and placed in the new Gradebook2 tool. Grades are not imported.
- Glossary: - Glossary items are imported and are posted under the Glossary tool.
- Web Content: - All Web content links are imported and placed in the new site
- Announcements: - Announcements are imported to the new site as "Drafts" (grayed-out). You will have to edit and repost these Announcements to make them active.
- Calendar: - Calendar events are imported and placed in the new Calendar tool.
- Forums: - Forums and Forum Topics are imported and placed in the Forums tool as “Drafts”. You will need to edit and re-post the Forums to make them active. No student posts are imported.
- Lessons Builder: - Lesson Builder content is imported (with old button names) and placed in the new site.
- Polls: - Polls are imported and placed in the new Polls tool.
Note: After clicking the "Finish" button, a message will be displayed:
"Your import process has been queued. You should receive an email when the import has completed. The email should appear within 15 minutes. Until you receive this email no imported material will appear in this course."
When the copy is complete, you will receive an email confirmation:
"The import process you started for "American Art - DEMO" has completed.
Visit the site to view the imported materials:
The Trunk Administrators