How do I create a reoccurring Sign-up meeting schedule?
The Sign-up tool allows instructors to create a reoccurring schedule of meetings (For instance, Office Hours for the semester).
Note: The Sign-up tool is not a default tool in the Tool Menu. You may have to add the tool to your Tool Menu using Site Editor / Edit Tools.
Enter title, location, category, description and add attachment if needed.
- Title: Enter a title for the meeting
- Organizer: Use the dropdown box to select the Organizer (TAs can create a sign-up for Instructors)
- Location: Enter the location of the meeting
- Category (Optional): Enter am Category for your own organization of meetings.
- Description (Optional): Enter a description for the meeting. (Example; directions, what to bring to meeting, what to read before meeting)
- Add Attachment (Optional): Add an attachment is needed
Enter Start and End date/time.
Set Meeting Frequency
Select when the Sign-up begins and ends.
This refers to when the students will begin and end access to the sign-up sheet for a meeting. In the example above, students can begin signing up for a meeting 6 days before the scheduled start date/time and will not have access to the signup sheet 24 hours before the scheduled date/time of the end of the meeting.
Select who the Sign-up is available to.
Use the Available To settings to determine who can sign-up for the event/meeting.
You can limit sign-up to members of a group, section, single site or extend the sign-up offer to the membership of your other course or project sites. If you choose to extend the sign-up offer to multiple sites, each site must also have the Sign-up tool turned on in order for its members to participate.
Select Meeting Type and structure.
There are 3 meeting Type Options:
- Open meetings: - This is a single time slot for an event or meeting and serves as an announcement. No attendance list is kept, so participants who plan to attend are not required to sign up.
- Singe slot: a single time slot is created, an attendance list is maintained, and the number of participants can be limited or unlimited. Participants are required to sign up (all for the same slot) in order to appear on the attendance list.
- Multiple slots: a single time slot can be divided into any number of time slots of equal length, under a single meeting name.
In the example above, Multiple slots is the chosen type. During the 2 hour meeting time, there are 4 individual slots for students to signup. Only 1 student can signup for a slot and each slot is 30 minutes in length.
(Optional) Advanced User-Defined Time Slots - Check box and click Create Time Slots.
Select Additional settings.
- Display Participant Names: Decide if you want students to see the names of other students on the sign-up sheet.
- Receive Notification: Decide if your want to receive an email each time a student signs up or cancels
- Announce Availability: Decide if you want a general announcement made to the entire class that the Sign-up schedule has been posted. This can be set to notify the students or to notify the other site managers (guest instructors, TAs, course builders, librarians).
- Default Notification Setting: No idea what this checkbox if for - there is no documentation for it - leave it checked
- Meeting Coordinators: Click Add/Edit if you want other site organizers to receive email notification when a student signs up or cancels a meeting.
Click "Show the other Default Settings" and adjust the additional settings.
- Allow Wait list: Allows students to join a wait list for a slot. If the original student cancels, the student will receive an email notifying them that the slot is now open.
- Allow Adding Comment: Students can add a comment to their signup
- User ID Input Mode: Student account IDs are used instead of student names
- Auto Reminder: Students are sent an email one day before the appointment reminding them that they have signed up for a meeting timeslot.
- Publish to Calendar: Meeting schedule is published in the site calendar.
- Create Groups for Timeslots: Groups are automatically created on the site containing the students signed up for this meeting
- Max # of time slots per participant: Allow/disallow permission for students to signup for more than one time slot.
This creates the reoccurring sign up schedule.
Do not select Click Assign Participants and Publish. You can assign participants to any time slot for any meeting on the Signup list page. (See "How do I manually add participants to a Sign-up meeting?"