How do I create Groups?
"Groups" are a mechanism that allows instructors and Organizers to deliver content (Resources) and Activities (Forums, Assignments, Quizzes, Lessons, Email, Grades) to a group (or groups) of students).
There are 3 methods to create groups:
- Method 1: Manually create groups
- Method 2: Auto Groups
- Method 3: Import CSV file
Method 1: (Manually create groups) - Click Create New Group.
This displays the Create New Group page.
Enter group information, then click Add.
- Enter a title for the group.
- In the Site Member List, click on a site participant/s in the membership list to select the user/s.
- Click on the right arrow button > to move the selected participant/s over to the Group Member List area.
- Once you have indicated all of the desired group members, click on the Add button to create the group.
Tip: You may select more than one name at a time in the participant list by using CTRL+Click (PC) or CMD+Click (Mac) to select more than one non-consecutive name.
Method 2: (Auto Groups) - Click Auto Groups.
This displays the create Groups page.
Create random groups.
- Select a single role from which to create subgroups (e.g. Student).
- Select the Create random groups from members with selected role(s) radio button.
- Select the Split by number of groups needed radio button.
- Enter a Group Title. This title will serve as the basis for all of the group names. Numbers will be appended to the title.
- Enter the Number of groups you would like to have for the site. Users will be randomly assigned to each group and distributed as equally as possible.
- Click the Update button to auto-generate your groups.
Method 3: (Import CSV file) - Click Import from file.
This displays the Import Group file page.
This displays your computer's file locator.
- Your import file should be in comma-separated (.CSV) format with two columns of data.
- The first column should contain the group title, and the second column should contain the username of the site participant. Do not include a column header row and do not include spaces.